From new mums to empty nesters, it's often surprising who is affected by loneliness.
Together we want to reach out and reconnect thousands of lonely people with their communities, and tackle a problem that is shortening lives and eroding wellbeing.
The aim of the Community Connecter is to support people affected by social isolation and loneliness and to help them gain confidence and to reconnect to their community in partnership with existing and new partner organisations. We will place the person at the centre of what we do and help them by offering positive encouragement, practical help and emotional support, for up to three months, depending on their needs.
Typical tasks may include -
* Be aware of and keep up to date with local community services appropriate to our service users with support from the Community Connector Manager.
* Support lonely and socially isolated service users (you will receive full training).
* Listening to people's needs, aspirations and concerns and co-creating a step plan to ensure the person meets their aims.
* Support people to attaend local community service suitable to their needs, help identify other activities in the area and go with them as neccessary to help build confidence.
* Support access to other forms of community support such as transport services and local clubs.
* Offer signposting to British Red Cross and other organisations' services.
* Maintain contact with the beneficiary to monitor progress against goals and phase out contact as loneliness and social isolation is alleviated.
We keep the service user at the heart of what we do, working to understand their needs and the difference we make. You need to have good interpersonal skills, diplomacy; communication and teamwork skills and full training can be given for any necessary technical requirements.
- Suitable for under 18s
- DBS check required
- Training provided
- Volunteer policy
- Covered by insurance
- Expenses reimbursed
Travel and reasonable food
- Equal opportunities policy
- Written role description
- Volunteer induction
- Ongoing support
- Health and safety policy
More Opportunities from British Red Cross
British Red Cross
Gillies House Health Centre, Sullivan Road, Basingstoke
British Red Cross
Hart Volunteer Centre, 1st Floor Hart Shopping Centre, Fleet