Did you know that 2.4 million adults in England can barely read or can’t read at all? We need your help to change people’s lives!
Read Easy provides free, confidential, one to-one reading coaching for adults who struggle with reading, through a network of volunteer groups. Read Easy groups are changing the lives of individual adults across the country by providing them with the support they need to learn to read and in turn opening doors for them to all sorts of new opportunities in life.
The West Surrey & NE Hampshire Read Easy Group was formed in March 2023, and is affiliated to Read Easy UK. They cover Aldershot, Fleet, Farnborough, Woking, Guildford, Farnham, Camberley and other towns in West Surrey and Northeast Hampshire. It is a national charity providing free, confidential one-to-one reading coaching for adults from trained volunteers. Many readers have had a poor experience in a school classroom or group setting, so the personal approach allows readers to develop a supportive and trusting bond with their dedicated coach.
If you’re a rigorous timekeeper and an organised individual, then your administration skills will be vital to support the smooth running of the local Management Team. Your administrative support will be helping people like Peter who says: "It’s been a life-changing experience. Last week I read a book to my grandson. I never read to my children because I couldn’t.”
By supporting other volunteers on your team with administration as well as taking minutes, keeping records up to date and managing internal and external communications, a Read Easy Administrator ensures that the group functions at its best and works in the most efficient and effective way to help adults in your community learn to read. Main tasks include:
- Arranging Team meetings with the Team Leader and distributing agendas
- Taking minutes and keeping records up to date
- Managing internal and external communications
- Recording actions agreed at the team meeting and distributing notes on required actions
- Submitting Coach and Reader Finisher questions responses to Read Easy UK
- When required, supporting the Coordinator with printing and copying
- Supporting with general administration for your group
- Attending regular Management Team meetings, typically every 6-8 weeks
You will be provided with the Management Team Handbook, training/induction, policies and guidance specifically needed for this role, including access to support from a Read Easy UK Regional Adviser, via your Team Leader. You will also be invited to Read Easy UK’s regional forums and annual conference which give volunteers an opportunity for networking with those from other groups.
- A strong commitment to improving the lives of the people Read Easy works with.
- Good communication and people skills, with a commitment to maintaining confidentiality
- Reasonable confidence in using IT.
- The ability to use initiative and work independently.
- A willingness to abide by Read Easy policies and procedures.
- An open attitude that encourages two-way communication and willingness to ask for and offer support to the Team.
- A non-judgemental attitude and respect for others, with a commitment to equality and diversity, so that you can make everyone feel valued and included.
- Energy and enthusiasm with an average of one to two hours a week to commit to the role.
- Age restrictions
- Current Driving Licence
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Recruitment Process
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Flexible (anytime) - time commitment is one or two hours a week