Interested in local history or maybe even studying History at college or university? We are looking for volunteers to join a small team (led by a retired archivist from the V&A museum no less!) to help support the modernisation of the Basingstoke Canal Society's extensive archive.
The role will provide opportunities to:
- Support the Canal's marketing and events team to identify events that should be recorded for the archive (if you were interested, this could also include attending the events to photograph and record). Similarly to work with canal management to identify major works and other items such as emergencies that should be recorded for the archive. Again if interested attend to photograph as appropriate.
- Help explore and establish the potential for an exhibition of the canal's history.
- Help explore the potential and work towards establishing an education presentation that could be made available at the canal centre and offered to schools and visitor groups.
This is a fabulous opportunity to record the events of today for the people of tomorrow.
Ideally potential volunteers will have:
- An interest in local history.
- Be organised and methodical.
- Have analytical skills.
- A few hours a month to spare.
- Enthusiasm to think of new ways of bringing the archives to life.
- History students welcome.
Please note: We ask volunteers to become members of the Society as it enables them to receive regular updates along with membership providing insurance cover for volunteer activities.
As a percentage of the role is likely to be on-site along the canal we cannot guarantee fully accessible but please don't let this put you off of the role if you're interested as we'll find workarounds.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
From our lead archavist.
- Recruitment Process
Informal chat and trial period.
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
The role is completely flexible and would require a few hours a month
This opportunity is available in the following areas: