Our Construction Club enables young families to engage in a fun, social activity whilst accessing and learning about our library environment. The activities are all about building fun objects.
We are on the hunt for 1 or 2 volunteers to help run the club, encouraging everyone to join in and lending a hand with construction.
The role is fully supported by library staff and there is a library induction and ongoing support with the role. Parents / carers stay with their children so there is no requirement for a DBS check.
You will be interacting with parents and their young children, who attend these drop in sessions.
Tasks and duties
- Preparing to deliver the session, which could involve choosing a construction club theme in consultation with library staff
- Assisting with the set-up by preparing the area of the library before the session and putting out construction bricks. This will likely involve some moving and handling for which training will be given
families as they arrive and help with in making sure the
session is delivered safely in line with HCC risk assessments
the area safe and tidy during construction club sessions and clearing up
up after the session and cleaning equipment as needed
We are looking for people who are:
- Good at talking and listening to young children and their parents/carers
- Committed to helping customers in libraries
- Calm when things are busy but able to cope when things are quiet
- Patient and friendly
- Punctual and reliable, attending all booked session or notifying staff in good time if unable to attend
- A good team worker, able to work with library staff and other volunteers
- 13+ (must be in Year 9 and above)
What you will get from us:
- An opportunity to participate in the work of your library, talk to young children
- A quality volunteer experience that can be used on your CV
- Increased confidence in talking to children and adults
- The opportunity to work on your own and develop independence
- An opportunity to become involved in your local community
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Recruitment Process
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
. It is a weekly Saturday morning session 10-12. If there is more than 1 volunteer on the team there is the opportunity to alternate Saturdays. The volunteer would need to be here most of the morning.