The Employment Caseworker/ Specialist will provide support and practical help for members of the public in all aspects of employment issues including understanding the relevant employment law, assisting with the grievance procedure, completing an ET1, compiling and managing the bundle and, where possible, representing at tribunal.
In order to undertake this voluntary position, we envisage that you would need to donate at least one day per week in the role
Responsibilities and Duties:
▪ Gather sufficient information to make an accurate diagnosis of the problem
▪ Maintain client’s involvement in decision making at all stages of the case
▪ Advise the client of their rights in Employment Law and options for enforcing them
▪ Assess the strength of a case, the chances of success of different strategies and reassess these in the light of the facts and possible arguments in opposition
▪ Negotiate settlements, including drafting of binding compromise agreement
▪ Handle the preparation of a case for an Employment Tribunal.
▪ Where you are unable to represent, prepare written submissions or provide client with written summary of main points to pursue
▪ Keep up to date with case law, policy, practice and trends in enquiries
▪ Work within Citizens Advice Basingstoke's agreed level and quality of service to clients
▪ Advise on, and assist in, the enforcement of awards, consulting money advice specialists where appropriate
▪ Advise on the rights of review and appeal making referrals to solicitors where appropriate
There are no formal qualifications required for this role. However, we envisage that you will have a proven understanding of Employment Law most probably demonstrated by a working background within the legal profession, trade union, a related statutory organisation or in education.
- Age restrictions
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Would need to donate at least one day per week to volunteer.
The Discovery Centre, 19/20 Westminster House