Successful schools thrive with an active Governing Body and the best kind of Governing Bodies have members from a wide variety of backgrounds, bringing varying skills and strengths, interests and experiences to the table. Could you be such a person who contributes to all aspects of the school , as well as being able to work collaboratively and take decisions as a group?
Governing bodies have a strong focus on three core strategic functions:
1. Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and direction.
2. Holding the head teacher and Senior Management Team to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils.
3. Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure money is well spent.
An interest in Education and children’s future outcomes.
Inquisitiveness to analyse and question.
The ability to make judgements and take decisions.
Particular experience that we are currently looking for:
1. Finance (general) and also Local Authority
2. Personnel – employment and equalities legislation
3. Safeguarding and Social Services
- Age restrictions
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
Free training sessions – usually evenings but some day times
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
When can I volunteer?
Time Commitment: • averages around 6 to 12 hours per month • Full Governing Body Meetings - 8/9 per year evenings • Daytime availability useful for school visits and moderation meetings