Our volunteers provide practical support and a listening ear to families. This service is free, non-judgemental and confidential. We offer thorough preparation and support, and on-going opportunities for self-development.
We are currently in need of volunteers who are bi-lingual with Nepalese and English language skills.
Once trained our volunteers are matched with a family in need and visit them once a week to help build confidence, provide practical and emotional support and reassurance. Families may need some extra support for a multitude of reasons - a parent or child may have an illness, post natal depression, family bereavement, spouse in the army, multiple births or disabilities.
Our co-ordinator will get to know you during the 'preparation course' and match you closely with a family's needs. A mutually convenient time is made to visit the family, with the co-ordinator and then further visits are made between the volunteer and the family.
Families are referred to us from Health Visitors, GP's or can self refer.
What we ask of you as a home visiting volunteer:
• be a parent or have full-time parenting experience
• undergo a criminal record check at enhanced level
• attend our free volunteer preparation course with other new volunteers. This is normally 1 day a weeks training over eight
weeks and takes place before you are linked with a family
• be able to visit a family at home, once a week, for around two hours, to support them
• understand that your support for families is completely confidential
• be able to commit to at least a six month period of support
• have a non-judgemental attitude and understand about the pressure of bringing up a family
Volunteers do not need any formal qualifications to support a family.
Your experiences as a parent are the most valuable thing to the families we help, and you are fully trained and supported by us for as long you are with us.
- Suitable for under 18s
- DBS check required
- Training provided
- Volunteer policy
- Covered by insurance
- Expenses reimbursed
- Equal opportunities policy
- Written role description
Dependant on clients home
- Volunteer induction
- Ongoing support
- Health and safety policy
More Opportunities from Home-Start Rushmoor and Hart
Home-Start Rushmoor and Hart