We are looking for volunteers to support health visitors and families during clinic sessions - for example, breastfeeding clinics, baby and child 'weigh and play' clinics, etc. You will be expected to:
- Support the health visiting team create a welcoming, friendly and safe environment for families;
- Be willing to take direction from project staff and health visitors;
- Set up and help run safe play activities;
- Actively promote key health messages (resources and appropriate training given where required);
- Help to ensure Health and Safety requirements for the sessions are met;
- You will arrive punctually to activities as arranged with Barnardo's and the Health Visiting Team and keep in touch with project staff as required;
- You will maintain accurate records of what you have done and provide summaries and reports as required (this usually requires access to a computer);
- You will communicate effectively and sensitively with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, both verbally and in writing;
- You will carry out your volunteering within Barnardo's policies and procedures and our basis and values;
- You will attend relevant meetings and additional training as appropriate.
- Have good listening skills with an empathetic approach;
- Be able to create a rapport with a range of people - be open and encouraging;
- Want to volunteer with children and adults;
- Have patience and strong relationship-building skills;
- Be non-judgmental and flexible in your approach;
- Be happy to volunteer on your own in your local area, with access to a mobile phone for lone working purposes;
- Previous experience of working within a healthcare profession or with children an advantage.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Training provided
Full volunteer training, including Safeguarding, Equality and Diversity, Professional boundaries, and information about your role
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Expenses reimbursed
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Written role description
As the role is based at various locations we cannot guarantee accessibility.
- Volunteer induction
A full induction into your role and Barnardo's in Hampshire and IOW
- Ongoing support
Regular supervision and support from the Volunteer Coordinator; Support from the Healthy Families team whilst you are volunteering.
- Health and Safety Policy
When can I volunteer?
Minimum requirement ideally of one 3 hour session per week. We have various sessions running across the district - including sessions in Aldershot, Blackwater, Crondall, Elvetham Heath, Farnborough, Fleet, Hartley Wintney, Hook, Odiham and Yateley.
This opportunity is available in the following areas: