Could you help support a young person in a meeting with educational professionals? Your role as an Independent Young Person Supporter would help them to put across their views, help take notes to remind them of what was said and really help the young person to feel confident that they are getting appropriate support.
Parents and young people really appreciate the support an IYPS gives. This is an interesting and rewarding role and you can choose to do as little or as much as you would like.
- listen to young people and encourage them to be confident in their views.
- help a young person to find information about special educational needs (SEN) and disabilities related to education.
- support a young person to understand their options for their future education and training.
- accompany a young person to visits/meetings with schools/colleges or the Children's Services Department, to ask questions, take notes, seek clarification and afterwards discuss what was said
- help a young person to understand the content of any letter or information from the Children's Services Department.
- make telephone calls, help write letters or complete forms.
- strong verbal communication skills
- ability to provide information in an impartial way
- the ability to listen and reflect back
- effective writing skills
- the ability to feel at ease with and relate to a wide range of people
- tact/diplomacy and respect for confidentiality
- trustworthy and reliable
- the ability to be objective, rational and have a balanced view on issues
- the ability to question a young person's interpretation of situations, if and when appropriate
- easily contactable, with enough free time to devote to the work
- the ability to see things through
- no potential conflict of interest
- own transport
Previous experience of special educational needs is not required. A background in education, health or social care is useful, but a willingness to learn and an interest in SEND is essential.
Depends on the location of the young person.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Travel - mileage at 45p per mile.
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
There is some flexibility around times that volunteers can volunteer - weekends and evenings are feasible.
This opportunity is available in the following areas: