This role looks to help patients who are unable or find it difficult to feed themselves during meal times.
- Assisting with the feeding patients on wards.
- Ensuring that patients being fed are given the appropriate meals.
- Ensuring that patients are given the prescribed supplementary food items as requested.
- Liaising with trained staff regarding patients' choice of meals.
- Ensuring that the appropriate utensil and feeding aids are used at all times.
- Engaging patients in conversations during mealtimes
- Proving feedback to nursing staff regarding patients' food intake, before leaving the ward area.
- Ensuring that all patients fed are offered and given choice of fluid refreshments (within reason) and as appropriate.
Volunteers are required to respect patients' wishes and report to ward nurses any adverse occurrences, alongside ensuring that patients they feed are left clean and tidy and uneaten food items removed.
Volunteers will be supported by ward staff who will be on-hand to help with patients if required.
Please note recruitment involves an initial introductory session at
Frimley Park Hospital, followed by the completion of an application form
and then a further meeting/interview and DBS check - therefore there
are two visits required to Frimley Park prior to any volunteering.
We are looking for volunteers who can:
Approach patients and visitors in a confident and caring manner.
Are friendly and enthusiastic whilst being patient and respectful.
Have good listening skills and a clear speaking voice.
and tactful and emotionally mature.
Are both reliable and trustworthy.
Understanding of, or ability to learn, personal and professional boundaries.
The volunteer will report to nursing staff in charge of the ward.
Volunteers are requested to commit for a minimum period of 12 months and ideally volunteer for at least a couple of hours per week.
Full training is provided and volunteers will also be given a volunteer polo shirt to wear and identity lanyard.
To promote public confidence and allow effective hand hygiene volunteers
are required to be smart, clean, tidy and of modest appearance. To further
meet with agreed hygiene criteria volunteers must be bare below the elbows.
The Trust welcomes volunteers aged 16+ - this is a lovely role for students looking towards a career in health or social care.
Ideally volunteers will need to be physically able to carry a tray of food and sufficiently mobile to help with feeding and drinking.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Travel at 45p per mile up to a 20 mile 'round trip'. Parking if applicable with receipt.
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
Volunteers will be expected to attend an initial information session lasting approximately 1.5hrs. These are usually held around 9.30am at Frimley Park Hospital.
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Volunteers can volunteer between the hours of 8am and 8pm - although there is some flexibility around these times.
Frimley Park Hospital
More Opportunities from Frimley Health Foundation Trust
Frimley Health Foundation Trust
Frimley Health Foundation Trust