The role of the Meet and Greet volunteer is to provide support to the staff in the main Outpatients reception area. This role can be temporary or permanent, the hours that volunteers are needed are Monday -Friday 8am - 5pm and a commitment of 2-3 hours per week is required.
The following tasks may be delegated to volunteers in this role :-
- Welcome visitors to the hospital and respond to queries as appropriate
- Advise visitors to wear a face mask and use hand gel on accessing and leaving hospital areas
- Maintain stock of the masks by liaising with the Porters to top up when required
- Support to maintain safe distancing between volunteers, staff and patients
- Direct patients to the area they are visiting
- Where required escort patients /visitors to their destination (with the exception of those in wheelchairs)
- Provide visitors/patients access to wheelchairs at the main entrance areas
- Assist patients/ visitors waiting for long periods to use appropriate seating areas.
- Contact departments/wards on behalf of visitors/patients when required
All volunteers will be expected to complete the non-clinical Trust induction for new starters which is accessed online. Therefore volunteers will need access to a computer / smart phone etc. Ongoing volunteer supervision will be carried out and yearly refresher training.
**Due to COVID-19 guidance and restrictions set out by the government to protect the public, our patients and NHS Staff, the Trust requires that anyone interested in volunteering with us at this time is:
- between the age of 17 and 64 (as advised by our Health4Work department )
- fit and well and has no symptoms, such as a cough or high temperature or loss of, or change to their sense of taste and smell and neither does anybody in their household
- not pregnant
- not living with any long-term health conditions that makes them vulnerable to coronavirus**
Skills and abilities required -
- Excellent communication skills
- Willing to learn and the ability to ask for and follow instruction from members of staff
- Able to demonstrate empathy and compassion
- Calm and composed under pressure and demonstrate resilience
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Basic administration skills with good attention to detail
- Punctual and reliable, with an adaptable and responsive approach
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Understands the need for confidentiality
- An understanding of when and how to report concerns to the appropriate member of staff
- A commitment to uphold trust core values and NHS policies
- This is an active role and volunteers must be physically mobile and able to move around the hospital site.
- Age restrictions
Current guidelines apply ages between 17 and 64 (as advised by our Health4Work department )
- DBS check required
DBS check and references required before commencing.
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Recruitment Process
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
This role can be temporary or permanent, the hours that volunteers are needed are Monday -Friday 8am - 5pm and a commitment of 2-3 hours per week is required.
Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital (including RHCH and AWMH)