We are currently looking for volunteers to join our Fleet team based in the Hart Shopping Centre, on weekday mornings between 10am and 12pm. We are located alongside the Volunteer Centre on the 1st floor of the shopping centre opposite the gym.
If you enjoy being in an reception / admin environment, are compassionate and
like meeting people then this could be the role for you. Thanks to volunteers
like you we can provide people in your local community with wheelchairs
and other mobility equipment to help them through a crisis. This vital service
enables people to maintain their independence and quality of life after an
illness or injury. Whether it is to help take a relative out, or take a child to
school, it makes a difficult and distressing time a little bit easier. Spread the
power of kindness with us and help make sure that everyone who needs one
can get a wheelchair.
What you will be doing:
• Volunteering in pairs to provide great customer service issuing wheelchairs/equipment and receiving returns.
• Using a tablet (similar to that of an iPad) to access a computer-based stock control system.
• Demonstrating safe use of the equipment to be loaned.
• Receiving and logging donations in the main via a chip and pin machine.
• Dealing with enquiries from people wishing to hire/loan a wheelchair or other equipment (online, phone and in person).
We would be delighted to chat to anyone interested and can offer a taster session... if two friends would like to volunteer together we could also look to accommodate this.
Please note as we invest so much into our volunteers ideally volunteers will be able to commit to help for a period of at least 6 months following training - obviously we are flexible but we aim to deliver a service to the community with experienced volunteers.
The skills you need:
• Physically able to safely lift or move wheelchairs and other mobility equipment.
• Some customer service experience is desirable.
• Enjoy meeting people and good interpersonal skills.
• Able to work independently and in a team.
• Good IT skills and able to complete on-line training.
• Able to commit to a regular shift on a weekly basis.
Volunteers must be physically able as they will need to demonstrate the equipment to clients.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Car park costs are reimbursed and any associated training costs and out of pocket expenses.
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
Volunteers work in pairs.
- Recruitment Process
Taster session, informal chat followed by a phone 'interview'.
- Training provided
Training is 6-8 hours on-line at a time to suit the volunteer with full support from The Red Cross. In addition volunteers will need to attend a full on day induction to the British Red Cross which is currently held via zoom. We will ask you to book on to a course at the time of interview, no later than six months after your start date.
- Volunteer induction
Taster session available and shadowing of current volunteers.
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Ideally we are looking for help on a Wednesday or Friday morning between 10am and 12pm. Volunteers only need to help at 1 session per week.
Hart Volunteer Centre
1st Floor Hart Shopping Centre