Do you want to support people who temporarily need equipment to help with their mobility, e.g. wheelchairs? Maybe they have had a fall and just come out of hospital, maybe they want to visit relatives and need a short term loan to help them make that trip.
Our volunteer-led Mobility Aids Service provides donation-based wheelchair hire and short-term loans of equipment in almost 1,000 outlets in the UK, helping tens of thousands of people every year.
As a medical loan volunteer you're on hand to deal with each request and make it possible for people to return to their own homes after illness or surgery by loaning them e.g. wheelchairs, bath seats, back rests or walking frames. The service promotes independence and can also help people go on holiday with friends or family.
Typical tasks include:
* Demonstrating how to use and look after our wheelchairs and other items.
* Monitoring the delivery and collection of equipment and maintaining relevant paperwork.
* Checking and maintaining equipment; adhering to any relevant compliance and record-keeping standards.
* Receiving and recording donations.
You'll volunteer as part of a friendly team and full training and support are given.
Taster session available.
You need to have good interpersonal,communication and teamwork skills although full training can be given for any necessary technical requirements.
Also someone who is:
* Sensitive when working with vulnerable people and has an interest in their well-being.
* Understanding of the differing physical needs of our clients.
* Basic IT skills would be advantageous.
* Able to work independently and as an effective member of a team.
* Willing to uphold the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and adhering to the Society's Equal Opportunities Policy.
Volunteers must be physically able as they will need to demonstrate the equipment to clients.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Parking costs reimbursed and any associated training costs and out of pocket expenses.
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
Volunteers work in pairs.
- Training provided
An overview of the British Red Cross is available both on-line and also locally.
- Volunteer induction
Taster session available and shadowing of current volunteers.
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 06/11/2018
End Date: 31/03/2020
Wednesdays and Fridays 10am-12pm Thursdays 3-5pm Currently the centre is open Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at the above times - however as more volunteers come on-board we are hoping to extend our opening times.
St Andrew's Centre