Who are we?
Our Governing Body is made up of 12 people, drawn from different parts of the community, including parents, staff, the local authority and the wider community. Everyone brings their own skills, perspective and experiences to ensure we have a diverse team.
What are we responsible for?
- offering a strategic view of the running of the school by reviewing and agreeing policies, targets and priorities and monitoring and reviewing aims and objectives;
- accountability to parents and the wider community. We must gather views, ask questions and decide what is best for the school;
- supporting and challenging the headteacher (critical friend) through a mutual relationship of trust and respect. The Governing Body works with the headteacher to create a clear understanding of the challenges faced in managing a school.
We do this by holding regular meetings as a whole Governing Body and in committees. The headteacher regularly updates us on all aspects of school life and we make regular monitoring visits linked to the School Improvement Plan.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Whilst no prior experience is necessary ideally you will have a background in business as this could prove advantageous.
Becoming a school governor is an excellent opportunity to give something of real value back to the local community.
The role is varied and yet doesn't 'take over your life'. It's also an ideal way of sharing your life experience / business knowledge and can be incredibly advantageous for those looking for 'board' level experience.
There is no requirement to be a parent in order to become a school governor.
Volunteers must be 18+ and for the purposes of safeguarding, all governor appointments are subject to an identity check.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Where applicable and with receipt.
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Recruitment Process
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Should be available to attend a bi-monthly meeting at Fleet infants school.