Discover your roots as a Story Gatherer Volunteer! Join our mission to research the diverse
stories behind the people of Basingstoke and cherish the history that defines the community.
Your research will help bring these stories to life, weaving a beautiful tapestry of shared
Every story matters, and every voice counts. Let's make history together!
No past skills or qualifications are required. We will provide you with all the training you
need to undertake historic research.
Flexible/ Remote/ Willis Museum, Basingstoke/ Hampshire Record Office, Winchester. Willis Museum and Sainsbury Gallery Market Place, Basingstoke RG21 7QD Hampshire Record office Sussex Street, Winchester, Hampshire SO23 8TH
The NLHF funded ‘Data Hunter and Story Gatherer’ Project is working to trial new ways to work with the local
We are working with the people of Basingstoke to gather the varied community histories that make up the
As a Story Gatherer for the NLHF funded ‘Data Hunters and Story Gatherers’ project you will be trained in
how to research social histories.
You will then work to research and gather the histories of immigration into the town. This research will
support a new community curated exhibition which due to open in mid 2024.
· Attend a research skills training session
· Undertake research into the agreed topic
· Write up research to the agreed format
· Attend regular informal research catch-ups
· Provide feedback on your experience for reporting to NLHF
· Any other reasonable duties as requested by the venue management team
· Prior interest in BAME histories
· Dedicated and reliable
· Able to follow guidelines and instructions to adhere to safe working practices
· Desire to learn new skills, meet new people and share your own experience
· Ability to pay close attention to detail.
That will be gained:
· Research skills
· Understanding of working with museum collections
· Use of technology and IT systems
· Photographing museum objects
· Working as a part of a team
- Age restrictions
not suitable for under 18s
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Recruitment Process
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 03/11/2023
End Date: 03/03/2024
This opportunity has no specific location.