The Access Project is an education charity that supports disadvantaged young people to progress to university. We are looking for volunteers who would be able to tutor a young person aged 14-18 years, online, for 1 hour a week in term-time from Sept-Nov 2022 until Summer 2023 to support them with their academic studies.
- Support a young person in a school subject to achieve the GCSE / A level grades they deserve and to fulfil their potential.
- Inspire, motivate and raise aspirations towards higher education and the world of work.
- Students supported by The Access Project typically achieve a grade higher at GCSE and are four times more likely than their peers to progress to a top-third ranked university.
We’ll match you with a student who is looking for support in your subject. In particular, we are seeing high demand from our students for support with sciences and maths so volunteers who are able to support in maths and science subjects would be particularly welcome. There are also many opportunities for volunteer tutors in other subjects including humanities and languages.
No prior experience necessary, full training included with start dates through the autumn term.
Interested? You’ll need to:
- Either be currently studying for an undergraduate degree or have an undergraduate degree/equivalent professional qualification.
- Either have an A Level subject you wish to tutor at GCSE (grade B or above) or an undergraduate degree in a subject you wish to tutor at A level.
- Be able to spare 1 hour a week in school term time over the next academic year to tutor (starting Sept-Nov 2022), plus 30 mins a week preparation time.
- Be prepared to undertake an enhanced DBS check (criminal records check) and provide two references (personal or professional).
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
You’ll need to complete a DBS check and an online safeguarding course.
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Recruitment Process
- Training provided
2.5 hour training course over the summer (various dates available).
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
One hour tutorial to be delivered each week after school hours TERM TIME ONLY. The tutorials can be delivered between the hours of 4.30pm and 7.30pm, Monday to Friday - the tutor and tutee can agree the specific time/day between them. We also recommend that you prepare for at least 30 minutes ahead of each tutorial. Obviously, holidays and illness mean sometimes you will have to postpone a session, but the aim is for one a week.
This opportunity can be carried out whilst working from home.