Have you got some spare time? Could your brain do with a workout? Would you like to use your skills to give something back to our community?
We are a very busy office with volunteers offering free information, help and advice, to inform people of their rights and responsibilities. For our clients, many of whom are vulnerable, with long term-health term conditions, disabled or elderly, our help is life changing. Every day we tackle homelessness, reduce debt, maximise household income - putting food on the table, keep people in their homes, tackle fuel poverty and discrimination.
Are you able to offer some of your time to volunteer as an assessor, giving advice and information, either during the working day or on a Wednesday evening or Saturday morning?
Gateway Assessors help clients get the right help in the fastest time possible. They assess people's needs, either face-to-face, over the phone or by webchat, and identify the most appropriate course of action. As a Gateway Assessor you would:
* explore the client's problem(s) and situation
* assess the risk/urgency of the client's issue and their ability to deal with the problem themselves
* identify the next step that needs to be taken
* summarise the content of the interview for the client and explain what happens next
* ensure clients know they can return if necessary
* update the database, completing the gateway assessment screens.
Full training is provided and our next assessor course starts in June 2019.
Specific qualifications or experience are not required to train for the role. You need to:
Be good at listening
Have a good manner when talking to people
Be able to work in a team
Be able to read and write English, and do basic maths
Have basic computing skills
Be open minded and non-judgemental
Enjoy helping people
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
The Discovery Centre
19/20 Westminster House