Hundreds of thousands of children across the UK are caring for an adult. Many make sacrifices and miss out on parts of their childhood because they are desperate to help a parent who is sick or disabled - could you help for an hour or so a week to give some of those children a little fun and a return to childhood?
Hart and Rushmoor Young Carers is a project managed by Hart Voluntary Action - a local charity based in Fleet which supports the voluntary and community sector. We deliver a support service to anyone aged 7-18 years living in Hart and Rushmoor who helps look after, or whose life is significantly affected by, a family member who is ill, disabled or misuses drugs or alcohol. We provide young carers term time clubs where they can get together and have a bit of time-out from their day to day caring responsibilities. Clubs encourage peer support, time to enjoy cooking, crafts and other physical activities, and a time to to be able to talk to the youth workers and young leaders who help organise the club sessions. We also provide additional opportunities for members to attend day outings and residential trips. Wider family support is also available.
The main focus of the clubs is on the young carers having fun, meeting other young people who are in a similar situation and receiving respite from their caring responsibilities. An additional aim is to give the young carers as many enjoyable, educational and challenging activities as possible to help improve their confidence, develop new skills and cope with issues that affect their lives.
This could be a weekly or fortnightly commitment.
We are looking for volunteers to help at our two young carers clubs, which run during term time on the following nights:
• Monday night Senior and Young Adult Carers Group from 6:30 - 8:30 pm for Year 7 one week
and Years 8 - 10 the alternate week (i.e. 11-18 years). Volunteers are asked to be there from
6:00 - 9:00 pm to help set up and pack away any activities we will be running and for a quick
debrief at the end of every session .
• Tuesday night Junior Group from 5:30 - 7:30pm for Years 3 - 5 one week and Year 6 the
alternate week (i.e. 7-11 years). Volunteers are asked to be there from 5:00 - 8:00 pm to
help set up and pack away any activities we will be running and for a quick debrief at the
end of every session.
• Arriving approx. 30 minutes before the start of the session to help set up,
• Helping with and running activities such arts and crafts, science and food activities,
• Manning the tuck shop,
• Involving the young carers,
• Staying on approx. 30 minutes after the end of the session to help clear away.
You may also be required to help out with day outings and residential trips.
• Able to work as part of a team,
• Patience and calmness.
• Enhanced DBS check (applied and paid for by HVA) and two references required,
• Able to get there with own transport or by public transport,
• Free parking available at venue,
• Mileage expenses (and parking charges if travelling to other venues) are reimbursed at 45p per mile,
• Volunteers need to be 16+ years for Junior Group and 18+ years for Senior and Young Adult Carers Groups,
• Support to access youth work related training if of interest,
• As a volunteer at Hart and Rushmoor Young Carers you will be asked to sign a Volunteer Agreement and familiarise yourself with relevant policies.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Available in term time only - either weekly or fortnightly.
- We welcome volunteers from 16+ and this is a great role for anyone interested in gaining experience working with young people.
- Please note that due to the nature of this role it is not suitable for volunteers with learning difficulties or mental health concerns.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Free parking available at venues. Mileage expenses (and parking charges if travelling to other venues) are reimbursed at 45p per mile.
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
Support to access youth work related training if of interest.
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Mayfield Community Centre