We currently have around 130 young carers aged 7-19 attending our Young Carers Clubs who live in Aldershot, Blackwater, Church Crookham, Crondall, Farnborough, Fleet, Hartley Wintney, Hook and Yateley. A large number of them require transport to/from clubs as their families either do not own a car or their home situation makes it difficult for their parents to transport them.
We are looking for volunteer drivers to help provide transport for our Junior and Senior Young Carers Clubs, which run during term time on the following nights:
- Monday from 6:30-8:30pm for Years 7-10 (i.e. 11-15 years) – Senior Group,
§ Tuesday from 5:30-7:30pm for Years 3-6 (i.e. 7-11 years) – Junior Group.
Routes will be arranged so that drivers are transporting young carers living in the same area and pick ups would be from around 5.30pm on Monday and 4.30pm on Tuesday. Drivers are welcome to stay at club and have a cuppa, or leave and return later to take the young carers home.
This could be a weekly or fortnightly commitment, but help may also be required for residential trips and day outings.
Hart and Rushmoor Young Carers is a project managed by Hart Voluntary Action - a local charity based in Fleet which supports the voluntary and community sector. We deliver a support service to anyone aged 7-25 years living in Hart and Rushmoor who cares, unpaid, for a family member who is ill, disabled, has a mental health condition or an addiction. We provide young carers clubs during term time for School Years 3-6 (Junior Group), 7-10 (Senior Group) and Young Adult Carers aged 16-25 years, as well as additional opportunities for members to attend trips and residentials, and respite activities during the school holidays.
The main focus of the clubs is on the young carers having fun, meeting other young people who are in a similar situation and receiving respite from their caring responsibilities. An additional aim is to give the young carers as many enjoyable, educational and challenging activities as possible to help improve their confidence, develop new skills and cope with issues that affect their lives.
• Enhanced DBS check (applied and paid for by HVA) and two references required,
• Drivers must be 25+ years,
• Drivers must provide transport in their own car and this must conform to all legalities and be roadworthy,
• Booster seats will be provided for children under 12 years or less than 135cm tall,
• Drivers must have up to date motor insurance for the vehicle. The minimum insurance required is Third Party that includes all passenger liability.
• Drivers must have a valid driving license and notify the project of any penalty points,
• Smoking is not permitted in the vehicle while transport is being provided,
• Free parking available at venues,
• Mileage expenses (and parking charges if travelling to other venues) are reimbursed at 45p per mile,
• As a volunteer at Hart and Rushmoor Young Carers you will be asked to sign a Volunteer Agreement and familiarise yourself with relevant policies.
• Able to work as part of a team,
• Patience and calmness,
• An understanding of the needs of passengers of differing ages, abilities and backgrounds,
• An understanding of confidentiality and sensitivity to the needs and wishes of young carers and their families,
• Good communication skills with a variety of people.
Ideally able to
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Mileage expenses (and parking charges if travelling to other venues) are reimbursed at 45p per mile. Free parking at all venues.
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Mayfield Community Centre
More Opportunities from Hart & Rushmoor Young Carers Group
Young Carers Club Helper
Hart & Rushmoor Young Carers Group